Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

VETERANS DAY

On this date in 1961, JFK met with General Maxwell Taylor and General Chester Clifton for 15 minutes in the Oval Office.  He was either in the West Wing or the Mansion for the entire day.


On this date in....


...1775, the United States Marine Corps was founded in Philadelphia.


...1865, Major Henry Wirz, Superintendent of Andersonville POW Camp, was hanged.


...1954, President Eisenhower dedicated the US Marine Corps Memorial.




NOVEMBER 10, 2010




I have just purchased a new book on JFK. 


It is titled The Kennedy Detail, JFK's Secret Service Agents Break Their Silence by Gerald Blaine with Lisa McCubbin, published by Gallery Books. 


It has a forward by Clint Hill who was the agent who rushed to JFK's limo as the last shot rang out.  He has been reluctant to talk about that day to anyone. 


The Sixth Floor Museum is having a lecture later this month by Gerald Blaine with an appearance by Clint Hill.  This would be very interesting to attend.


This should be a very interesting book and I will make comments on this blog as I read through it.




On my first posting I mentioned my free web page.  It includes 20 pages devoted to the story of JFK & my interest in his life and Presidency.  It was a required source for my US History students.  It includes pictures and music.  It can be reached at freewebs.com/jrwhite21/