Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

JACQUELINE KENNEDY, HISTORIC CONVERSATIONS: SEVENTH CONVERSATION XXI


April 20, 2012


JACQUELINE KENNEDY, HISTORIC CONVERSATIONS: SEVENTH CONVERSATION XXI


Knoxville, Tennessee (JFK+50) Today JFK+50 continues our report on the seventh conversation from "Jacqueline Kennedy, Historic Conversations on Life with John F. Kennedy," published by Hyperion.




The seventh conversation was recorded on June 3, 1964.


Arthur Schlesinger asks Jacqueline Kennedy:


"What did (JFK) think of all these skits* about himself, like The First Family, & so on?  Did he ever listen to them?"


*Mr. Schlesinger is referring to a long play record album (vinyl) "The First Family" starring Vaughn Meader.**  


The album included a number of  'skits' which poked fun at JFK & his family.  


**The First Family was the fastest-selling record in history. It sold 7.5 million copies.






Jacqueline Kennedy answers:


"I think he listened (but) I'm not sure he listened to all of that record.  I listened to one side, & then threw it away because I didn't want my children to see it."


Mrs. Kennedy continues:


"He obviously didn't like it, but I was the one who got much more worked up about those things, I thought it was so mean.


I didn't care if they made fun of me....but when they made fun of little children.


So I'd get upset about those skits, but he didn't like to see me get upset.  But....he knew it was part of being President.  And because it was such a different & young family, there was so much more to make skits about with us, which he said, sort of wryly, to me once."


JFK+50 COMMENT


I will paraphrase one of the skits.  JFK & Jackie are preparing to turn in for the night & Jackie says "Family, family, family.  That's all it ever is. Jack, can't we be alone together for a change."


JFK promises that they will & then says "Good night, Jackie."  She answers, "Good night, Jack."  


Then there is a pause followed by JFK saying:


"Good night, Bobby.  Good night, Ethel. Good night, Teddy, etc....."