Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

JOHNNY, I HARDLY KNEW YE III


JULY 15, 2012

"JOHNNY, I HARDLY KNEW YE" III

Knoxville, Tennessee (JFK+50) Today we continue our report of Chapter 12 of the book by Kenneth P. O'Donnell & David F. Powers with Joe McCarthy.  It is published by Little, Brown & Company.


The title of Chapter 12 is "Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ye"


Kenneth O'Donnell tells us that after attending MEMORIAL DAY services at Arlington in 1963, JFK began sending a memorial certificate to the nearest surviving relative after the death of a war veteran.


This, Kenny says, was the President's 'own idea.'


One widow sent the following letter to JFK after receiving a memorial certificate for her husband:


"I want to thank you for the certificate honoring my husband.  It brought tears from the realization that the head of a nation so big could put importance on details so seemingly small.  It fills me with an overwhelming love for my country."