Pages

Friday, May 9, 2014

HELLO DOLLY

LOUIE ARMSTRONG'S "HELLO DOLLY" #1 HIT 50 YEARS AGO TODAY

Fifty years ago today, May 9, 1964, Louis Armstrong's version of "Hello Dolly" became the #1 hit single on the American popular music charts.

"Satchmo's" tune replaced "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" by the Beatles which had held the  position for three months.

Louis Armstrong, who was 63 years old at the time, became popular in the 1920s as a jazz trumpet player.  Some may have thought that in the 1960s, his time had past, but they were wrong.



                  Louis Armstrong


JFK HAS AMUSING ANSWERS TO REPORTERS QUESTIONS

Washington, D.C. (JFK+50) At his afternoon news conference at the State Department 52 years ago today, May 9, 1962, President John F. Kennedy responded to a couple of questions from reporters with customary humor.

One reporter asked JFK to comment on the treatment of his administration by the press.

JFK said:

"I am reading more & enjoying it less...and so on, but I have not complained nor do I plan to make any general complaints.  

I think (the press) is doing their task as a critical branch and I am attempting to do mine...

We are going to live together for a period and then go our separate ways."

Another newsman asked the President to comment on his remark during the steel crisis in which he quoted his father's derogatory view of businessmen.

JFK replied:

"The statement (in the newspapers) quotes my father as having expressed himself strongly to me.  I quoted what he said and indicated that he had not been....wholly wrong.  

But that's past.  Now we are working together, I hope."

Both answers were followed with laughter from the press corps.



             JFK Jokes with the Press