Tuesday, November 11, 2014



Arlington, Virginia (JFK+50) Fifty-one years ago this morning, November 11, 1963, President John F. Kennedy visited the National Cemetery to pay respects to the veterans of the military forces of the United States.

The President was accompanied by General David M. Shoup, Commander of the United States Marine Corps, the Honorable John S. Gleason, Jr, Administrator of Veterans Affairs, and his son, John F. Kennedy, Jr.

While JFK attended the ceremonies held at the Ampitheater and laid a wreath on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, young John waited in the car.

JFK at Veterans Day Ceremonies
Arlington, Virginia (11-11-63)
Photo by Cecil W. Stoughton
JFK Library Image

Thurston Clarke describes the scene...

"It was an ideal day for a military pageant, with bright sunshine and a brisk wind snapping the flags."

Clarke says that the President changed his mind about leaving his son alone in the car and told a Secret Service agent.. "I think he'll be lonely out there."

JFK at Arlington
Veterans Day 1963
Photo by Cecil Stoughton
JFK Library Image

Soon John John appeared.  According to novemberdays1963...

"(John John) marched up to his Dad...imitating him by walking with his hands clasped behind his back." 

John Jr. and JFK
November 11, 1963
Photo by Cecil Stoughton
JFK Library Image

Thurston Clarke writes that later as JFK strolled down the rows of white tombstones with Hale Boggs, Representative from Louisiana, he said...

"This is one of the really beautiful places on earth.  I could stay up here forever."

Just two weeks later, on Monday, November 25, 1963, the 35th President of the United States would be laid to rest "forever" at that "really beautiful place."

Military Honor Guard
November 25, 1963
Photo by Cecil Stoughton
JFK Library Image


JFK's Last Hundred Days:  The Transformation of a Man and the Emergence of a Great President, by Thurston Clarke, The Penguin Press, New York, 2013.

Follow the link below to the JFK Library website to view a film about the events at Arlington on 11-11-63.


Paris, France (JFK+50) Ninety-six years ago today, November 11, 1918, the First World War ended following the signing of an armistice at 5 a.m. Peace came precisely on the 11th day of the 11th month at 11 a.m. local time.

The armistice was signed in the railroad car of Allied Supreme Commander Ferdinand Foch located in Compiegne Forest north of Paris.  The terms required Germany to evacuate the occupied territories of Belgium, France, Alsace-Lorraine and Luxemborg.

Allied forces would occupy the left bank of the Rhine while the right bank would be a neutral zone.  In addition, Germany was required to give up tons of military equipment including their submarine fleet.

The armistice period would last 30 days at which time it would be renewed monthly until the final peace treaty was signed.

Armistice Day Celebration
King and Bay Streets
   Toronto, Canada