Beijing (JFK+50) Fidel Castro* has been awarded the 2014 Confucius Peace Prize according to a report by NPR today. The former Cuban leader, now 88 years old, "was selected...because he did not use force while dealing with international disputes" and because of his "important contributions in eliminating nuclear weapons upon his retirement...in 2008."
Photo by Ricardo Stuckert (2003)
Agencia Brasil Image
The Confucius** Prize, named in honor of the famous Chinese philosopher, is relatively new. It was created in 2010 as an alternative to the Nobel Prize which was considered anti-Chinese.
Previous winners of the Prize include Liu Xiaobo, Lien Chan and Vladimir Putin.
*Fidel Castro was born in Biran, Cuba. His father fought in the Cuban War for Independence and in the Spanish-American War. Fidel studied law at the University of Havana.
FC led in the overthrow of Fulgencio Batista and served as prime minister (1959-1976), president (1976-2008), and 1st secretary of the Communist Party (1961-2011).
**Confucius (551 BC-479 BC) was a Chinese philosopher who emphasized personal and governmental morality, social correctness, justice and sincerity.
Following are some of our favorite Confucius sayings...
1. By 3 methods we may learn wisdom. First, by reflection, which is noblest. Second, by imitation, which is easiest and third by experience, which is the bitterest.
2. Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
3. I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
4. Wisdom, compassion and courage are the 3 universally recognized moral qualities of men.
5. He who learns but does not think is lost. He who thinks but does not learn is in great danger.
"Confucius Quotes," www.brainyquote.com/
"Fidel Castro," www.biography.com/
"Fidel Castro Awarded China's Confucius Peace Prize," by Krishnadev Calamur, December 11, 2014, www.npr.org/