Thursday, January 8, 2015



New York City (JFK+50) Fifty-five years ago today, January 8, 1960, Senator John F. Kennedy, officially a candidate for the Democratic nomination for President of the United States, met with the editors of Look Magazine here in New York City.

After speaking with Texas Senator Lyndon B. Johnson on the telephone, Senator Kennedy attended a luncheon with the editors at their headquarters located at 488 Madison Avenue.

Look Building
488 Madison Ave
New York City, NY

Look Magazine, founded in 1937, was a bi-weekly publication with an emphasis on photographs in a 11 x 14 inch format.  Look was a competitor to the more popular Life Magazine.  

Look's circulation reached 3.7 million in 1954 and peaked at 7.75 million in 1969.  The magazine ceased publication in 1971.

Future movie director Stanley Kubrick was a staff photographer for Look who undertook more than 300 assignments for the magazine from 1946 to 1951.

After a flight back to Washington, D.C., JFK attended an event at the Foreign Press Association.  The FPA, founded in 1918, is described as "the preeminent non-governmental organization representing international journalists in the United States." 

At 5 p.m., Senator Kennedy attended a reception given by the American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organization (AFL-CIO) at the Carlton Hotel.

That concluded JFK's official events of the day.  The Senator planned to enjoy a relaxing weekend in Montego Bay.


"JFK Campaign Calendar," by Michelle Morrissette,


New Orleans, Louisiana  (JFK+50) Two hundred years ago today, January 8, 1815, an outnumbered American army led by Major General Andrew Jackson of Tennessee repelled the attack of British redcoats 5 miles South of New Orleans at Chalmette Plantation.

                    Battle of New Orleans
                              Painting by
              Edward Perry Moran (1910)

When the sun came up that morning, the United States treasury was near bankruptcy, the national capital had come under attack a few months before, with the President's House and Capitol Building being set afire, and the young nation's army was now under attack in New Orleans.

In a battle that lasted less than an hour, however, American fortunes took a quick turn for the better.  A British army under General Edward Pakenham, who was killed in the battle, surrendered after having lost almost 300 dead.

More than 1200 of the King's soldiers were wounded while the Americans counted but 13 of their own dead, 39 wounded & 19 missing.

Ironically, the battle proved unnecessary as a peace treaty had been signed in Ghent two weeks earlier ending the War of 1812 but news of the peace settlement had not yet reached America.

An American soldier described the end of the Battle of New Orleans this way:

"When the smoke...cleared...we (had) a fair view of the field, it looked, at 1st glance, like a sea of blood.  It was not blood...but the red coats in which the British soldiers were dressed.  Before (us) the field was entirely covered with prostrate bodies."