Pages

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

SOMETHING TOUCHED ME DEEP INSIDE...

THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED

Clear Lake, Iowa (JFK+50) Fifty-six years ago today, February 3, 1959, rock 'n roll singer Buddy Holly died in a plane crash along with Ritchie Valens, J.P. (a.k.a. The Big Bopper) Richardson, and pilot Roger Peterson. 

Their plane crashed in Iowa near the town of Clear Lake.

Holly, and his band "The Crickets," had just made NUMBER ONE on the rock charts with their hit: "That'll Be The Day."

In 1972, Don McLean memorialized the tragic event with his hit: "American Pie" which describes February 3, 1959 as "the day the music died".

A long, long time ago
I can still remember 
how that music 
used to make me smile
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And maybe they'd be happy for a while

But February made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep
I couldn't take one more step

I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died.

Lyrics by Don McLean