JFK+50: Volume 6, No. 2083
HOOVER DAM BEGINS TRANSMITTING ELECTRICITY TO LA
The dam, begun in 1931, took five years to complete. It was dedicated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on September 30, 1935.
The dam was originally named Boulder Dam but in 1930 began to be referred to as Hoover Dam in tribute to the incumbent President Herbert Hoover. In 1947, President Harry S Truman approved a congressional resolution which confirmed the name Hoover Dam.
At the time of its completion, Hoover Dam was the tallest dam in the world and home to America's largest reservoir, Lake Mead, which has a capacity of 325,000 gallons.
Hoover Dam was constructed to control flooding and to provide water and electric power for California and the Southwestern United States.
*Hoover (Boulder) Dam is located on the border of Arizona & Nevada in the Black Canyon of the Colorado River. It is situated 39 miles SE of Las Vegas. Today it is the 2nd tallest dam in the world behind Oroville Dam of California.
"Seven Things You Might Not Know About the Hoover Dam," by Elizabeth Nix, September 14, 2015, www.history.com