JFK+50: Volume 6, No. 2087WHITE HOUSE CORNERSTONE LAID 224 YEARS AGO
Washington, D.C. (JFK+50) 224 years ago today, October 13, 1792, the first stone of the President's House was laid here in the Nation's Capital. The description of this historic event comes from a news story appearing in the Charleston City Gazette of November 15, 1792.
"On Saturday the 13th inst. the first stone was laid in the southwest corner of the President's House, in the city of Washington, by the Free Masons of George-town and its vicinity who assembled on the occasion.
The procession was formed at the Fountain Inn, Georgetown. The ceremony was performed by brother J.T. Casneve, the master of the lodge. He delivered an oration well adapted to the occasion."
The news story also informed readers that a brass plate was placed inside the cornerstone with the following inscription:
"George Washington, President.