Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2018

I AM READING MORE & ENJOYING IT LESS

JFK HAS NO COMPLAINTS ABOUT HIS TREATMENT BY THE PRESS

Washington, D.C. (JFK+50) At his afternoon news conference at the State Department on May 9, 1962, President John F. Kennedy responded to a couple of questions from reporters with customary humor.

One reporter asked JFK to comment on the treatment of his administration by the press.

JFK said...

"I am reading more & enjoying it less*...and so on, but I have not complained nor do I plan to make any general complaints.  I think (the press) is doing their task as a critical branch and I am attempting to do mine...

We are going to live together for a period and then go our separate ways."

Another newsman asked the President to comment on his remark during the steel crisis in which he quoted his father's derogatory view of businessmen.

JFK replied...

"The statement (in the newspapers) quotes my father as having expressed himself strongly to me.  I quoted what he said and indicated that he had not been....wholly wrong.  

But that's past.  Now we are working together, I hope."

Both answers were followed with laughter from the press corps.

*JFK's comment was a take on a frequently seen television cigarette commercial which asked the question, "Are you smoking more, but enjoying it less?"



JFK Jokes with the Press