Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2018

WE WERE AGAINST THE KAISER'S PICK BUT THEY RAN JUST THE SAME


HARRY TRUMAN HAS A PART IN THE GREAT DRIVE

Western Front, France (JFK+50) On October 6, 1918, future POTUS Harry S Truman wrote a letter to future FIRST LADY Bess Wallace (Truman).  He wrote....

"The great drive has taken place and I had a part in it.  I shot out a German Battery, (and) shot up his big observation post.  I brought my Battery forward under fire & never lost a horse nor man.

The future president concluded the letter by writing...

"We were on the most famous battlefield of the war in front of the town the Germans couldn't take, and were against the Kaiser's pick but they ran just the same.  I hope the censor don't see that."

SOURCE

"Letter from Harry to Bess, October 6, 1918", Harry S Truman Library and Museum, www.trumanlibrary.org/


Harry S Truman
France 1918
Truman Library Photo
NARA Image