Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2018

"WE FIRED 12,000 ROUNDS BUT THE GERMANS NEVER SCORED A HIT ON US"


TRUMAN MAYBE NOT A BRAGGART BUT HE SURE LIKED TO BRAG

Western Front, France (JFK+50) On November 15, 1918, Captain Harry S Truman wrote in a letter to Bess Wallace...

"While I am not a braggart* I believe I can take my outfit and beat any other in the A.E.F.** shooting or doing any other kind of battery work."

The Captain continued to brag....

"I recommended one of my kids to go to West Point** and he was one out of seven in the A.E.F. to go...

My greatest ambition (at the beginning of the war was) to take a battery and not lose a man.  We fired 10,000 to 12,000 rounds (but) the (Germans) never score(d) a hit on (us)."

The letter was signed...

"Always, Harry
Capt Bt D, 129 FA
Am E. F."

*The term derives from Middle English "braggen"...to make a loud noise; to speak boastfully.

**American Expeditionary Force (United States Army of WWI) was established on July 5 1917 & commanded by General John J. Pershing.

SOURCE

"Letter, Harry S Truman to Bess Wallace, Nov 15 1918", Harry S Truman Library and Museum, www.trumanlibrary.org/


Harry S Truman
France 1918
Truman Library Photo
NARA Image