Pages

Friday, November 15, 2019

"I AM DISTURBED OVER THE SERIOUS PLIGHT OF OUT OF WORK YOUTH"

JFK ANNOUNCES YOUTH JOBS COMMISSION


Washington, D.C. (JFK+50) On November 15, 1961, President John F. Kennedy announced creation of The President's Commission on Youth Employment.
The commission, composed of 23 members, was to be headed by Secretary of Labor Arthur Goldberg.

The purpose of the commission was to address the millions of "baby-boomers*" who were be need of employment.  Although general unemployment was down from 5.7 million in January to 3.9 million in October 1961, the President said...


"I am particularly disturbed over the serious plight of nearly 1 million out of school & out of work youth."


*The Baby Boom Generation (1946-1964) includes 76 million persons who grew up during a period of great social change.  They grew up in the nuclear age, the Cold War & during the civil rights movement.

The Babyboomers are putting stress on America's  Social Security system.   As a member of this generation, I apologize for my part in causing this problem, but I would have to say that it was beyond my control.