Pages

Monday, March 16, 2020

"I WANT THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY TO STAND FOR HOPE INSTEAD OF DESPAIR, FOR RECONCILIATION INSTEAD OF WAR"

RFK ANNOUNCES CANDIDACY FOR PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES


Washington, D.C. (JFK+50) On March 16, 1968, Senator Robert F. Kennedy* (D-New York), announced his candidacy for President of the United States here in the Nation's Capital.

Senator Kennedy said...

"I am today announcing my candidacy for the presidency of the United States.  I do not run...merely to oppose any man but to propose new policies.

I run because I am convinced that this country is on a perilous course.  I run to seek (an) end (to) the bloodshed in Vietnam and in our cities...to close the gaps....between black and white...rich and poor...young and old...

I want the Democratic Party...to stand for hope instead of despair, for reconciliation...instead of war.

My decision reflects no...disrespect toward President Johnson.  He served President Kennedy with loyalty...

At stake is not simply the leadership of our party and even our country.  It is our right to moral leadership of this planet."

*Robert Francis Kennedy (1925-1968) was born in Brookline, MA & served in the US Naval Reserve in WWII.  RFK was educated at Harvard & received his law degree  at the University of Virginia.

Bobby managed brother Jack's campaigns for the U.S. Senate & the Presidency. He served as chief counsel for the McCarthy committee on investigations, Attorney-General (1961-1963) & U.S. Senator (1965-1968).

SOURCE

"Announcement of Candidacy for President," Washington, D.C., March 16, 1968, RFK HUMAN RIGHTS, www.rfkhumanrights.org/