Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2020

"WHEN I CROSSED THAT LINE, I LOOKED AT MY HANDS TO SEE IF I WAS THE SAME PERSON"

HARRIET TUBMAN, "MOSES", DIES

Auburn, New York (JFK+50) On March 10, 1913, Harriet Tubman*, known as "Moses" to the many slaves she helped escape to freedom,  died here in Auburn of pneumonia.

Born into slavery as Armita Ross, she married John Tubman, a free black man, in 1844.  She changed her name to Harriet and later escaped slavery making her way to Pennsylvania.  

Mrs. Tubman recalled...

"When I found I had crossed that line, I looked at my hands to see if I was the same person.  There was such a glory over everything, the sun came like gold through the trees....and I felt like I was in heaven."

As the most famous conductor on the underground railroad**, she took pride on having "never lost a passenger".   Tubman had sustained a head injury as a youth which caused her to have visions which she saw as signs from God. Her faith saw her through 13 expeditions back into slave territory to help others escape.

During the Civil War, Harriet was a Union spy and is considered to be the first African-American woman to serve in the military.  Surrounded by friends and family, Harriet Tubman passed away quietly.

*Harriet Tubman (1820-1913) was born in Dorchester County, Maryland & escaped to Philadelphia in 1849.  She returned to Maryland to rescue her family.  HT guided a raid at Combahee Ferry, SC in 1863 which freed 700 slaves.  After her service in the Civil War, HT worked in the women's suffrage movement.

**Underground Railroad--a network of secret routes and safe houses set up in the mid 1800s as a means to help escaped slaves reach free territory and Canada.

SOURCE

"Harriet Tubman," Edited by Debra Michals, PhD, 2015, National Women's History Museum, www.womenshistory.org/ 
 




Statue of Harriet Tubman 
by Jane DeDecker
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Photo by Dwight Burdette
www.commons.wikimedia.org/