Pages

Monday, October 2, 2023

"I'LL JUST LOOK THE FIELD OVER & DECIDE"

SENATOR-ELECT WILL 'SHOW THOSE BIRDS' SOMETHING WHEN HE TAKES UP HIS DUTIES

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (JFK+50) On the morning of October 2, 1923, Senator-elect Magnus Johnson* of Minnesota departed the Adelphia Hotel here in the City of Brotherly Love on his way to catch a train to Washington, D.C.

Before departure, the Senator-elect said...

"I'm going to show those birds something when I take up my duties in the Capitol.  I'll just...look the field over and decide what course I'm going to take."

*Magnus Johnson (1871-1936) was born in Karlstad, Sweden & moved to Wisconsin in 1891, then to Minnesota in 1893.  He served as the only U.S. Senator born in Sweden, 1923-1925.  MJ served in the US House of Representatives 1933-1935.  He was a member of the Farm-Labor Party.

SOURCE

"'I'll Show Those Capitol Birds'," The Evening Star, Washington, D.C., October 2, 1923, Chronicling America, Library of America, www.loc.gov/

 
 
Senator Magnus Johnson
Bain News Service
Library of Congress