Pages

Saturday, June 15, 2024

"BERLIN LIES DEEP WITHIN THE RUSSIAN ZONE"

RUSSIANS STOP MOTOR TRAFFIC BETWEEN BERLIN & THE WEST

Berlin, Germany (JFK+50) On June 15, 1948, the Associated Press reports that "the Russians halted motor traffic between Berlin and the west for a while today and also stopped 140 carloads of coal inbound from the British zone*."

Traffic was diverted to bypass a bridge across the Elbe River which was "closed for repairs."   A six-mile detour route which included ferry service across the river was provided.

*Post World War II Germany was divided into four zones of occupation at the Potsdam Conference.  Great Britain-NW, France-SW, US-S & USSR-E.  The city of Berlin was also divided into four occupation zones between those same countries.

JFK+50 NOTE

We chose this day in 1948 because it is my birth date.  As I celebrate my 76th year, it is bittersweet because June 15th is also the date of my wedding anniversary.  

My wife, Beverly, passed in April 2023 so I have had two birthdays and two anniversaries without her.  I have fond memories, however, of many birthday/anniversary celebrations with her.

SOURCE

"Reds Detour Traffic On Road From Berlin," The Evening Star, Washington, D.C., June 15, 1948, Chronicling America, Library of Congress, www.loc.gov/

 
 
Map of Postwar Germany
by Matritum
www.deviantart.com/