Pages

Saturday, August 15, 2026

"CELEBRATED AT ST. MATTHEW'S CATHEDRAL"

PRESIDENT KENNEDY ATTENDS MASS FOR FEAST OF ASSUMPTION

Washington, D.C. (JFK+50) On August 15, 1961, President John F. Kennedy attended the mass for the Feast of the Assumption celebrated at St. Matthew's Cathedral* here in the Nation's Capital.

Attending the mass with Mr. Kennedy were presidential assistants Kenny O'Donnell, Dave Powers and Ted Reardon

JFK+50 NOTE

In my original post of this event, I incorrectly identified the mass as for All Saints' Day.  Since I did not list the source, I do not remember where I obtained this wrong information.

The Feast of the Assumption is a major Christian belief that the Virgin Mary was taken into heaven in body & soul after her life ended.

*Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle, located at 1725 Rhode Island Avenue NW,  is the seat of the archbishop of the Archdiocese of Washington, D.C.  

It was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places in 1974.  St. Matthew's was where JFK's funeral mass was conducted on Monday, November 25, 1963.

SOURCE

"President Attends All Saints' Day Mass," JFK+50, August 15, 2011, www.jfk50.blogspot.com/

 
 
St. Matthews Cathedral
1725 Rhode Island Ave NW
Washington, D.C.
April 18 2025
Photo by John White