Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

I RECKON I OUGHT TO GET TO HEAVEN SOMEHOW

HARRY TRUMAN THANKS BESS FOR CHURCH FLAG STAR

Somewhere in France (still far from the Front) (JFK+50) On July 31, 1918, future POTUS Harry S Truman wrote a letter to future FLOTUS Bess Wallace.  The letter, written on YMCA stationery, was headed with the words "With The Colors."

Captain Truman wrote...

"I am going to buy you an iron cross or German helmet...you can tell 'em I captured it."

Harry also wrote about the success of his Irish (D) Battery in "out-firing the others" on the practice range.

The Captain also thanked Bess for putting a star on the church flag in his honor.  He wrote...

"I believe in all churches.  I had a Presbyterian bringing up, a Baptist education and Episcopal leanings, so I reckon I ought to get into heaven somehow."*

*The letter was signed "Harry S Truman, Captain 129, FA, American E.F."

SOURCE

"Letter from Harry S Truman to Bess Wallace, July 31, 1918," Truman Papers, Harry S Truman Presidential Library, www.trumanlibrary.org/


First Page
HST Truman to BW
July 31 1918
HST Presidential Library